February 28, 2010

Redemption

So as much as I despise the Bob dominated coverage… I have to admit that the 2010 Olympics were the Olympics of Redemption.  2010 was the year the Bode Miller finally got his gold.

The similarities between us are a bit striking. In 2006 we were both cocky – thinking we could easily cruise to victory, partying the whole way. We didn’t know how hard you have to fight to make it to the top of the podium.

And we both ended up with a DNF.
Tempting II. It almost defeated me. I eventually achieved victory, though. Or on Rav here: Tempting II

This year we returned. Refocused and determined. Now parents our partying days are mostly in the past.

I wanted the gold so bad I could taste it.

But the whole point of this project was to knit something epic. To challenge yourself. To compete at a higher level.  So I chose to knit something that I honestly didn't think was possible in 2 weeks. Something classic, something pure: An Elizabeth Zimmerman seamless yolk sweater with an Icelandic inspired colorwork pattern.  You can't get more entrenched in knitting than that.

And after staying up way later than I’m going to admit more times than sanity would dictate I have a finished, blocked, photographed sweater:
IMG_0595

In 17 days.
IMG_0589

That is Epic.

IMG_0584

That is what the Knitting Olympics are about.

IMG_0582

That is capturing the spirit of the games in yarn.
IMG_0591

That is a gold medal performance.
IMG_0603
I don't know. I was following what my Photographer told me to do.

The specs:
On Ravelry:  My Olympic Sweater
Pattern: Combo of the Hela short cardigan and an Elizabeth Zimmerman percentage sweater
Yarn: Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran. Blend of merino, silk, and cashmere. Total luxury.
Colorway: Venitian. With bits of quartz and cream
Mods: Um yeah. Knit the whole thing do a different gauge. Added in 4 short rows at bust for shaping.
If I could do it again: Would probably add a few more short rows, would add a few more rows of seed stitch to the bottom to keep it from rolling. Wouldn’t attempt it in such a short timeframe.
Verdict: WIN. GOLD. YAY. LOVE. HEARTS and BUTTERFLIES and  FLOWERS and SUNSHINE.

So I have enough yarn leftover to make the baby her own version of this sweater…. Should I do it or is that cheesy? I kindof want to do it just so that I can knit this chart again:
IMG_0612
Hmmmmmm…..

21 comments:

  1. Congrats! It looks wonderful. I would definitely make her a version of your sweater, that would be adorable. I am a little dorky though, so I am not sure if you want to trust my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh congratulations! What a beautiful sweater! That's so awesome that you won gold doing it! What an awesome challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!! It looks great!! You skated cleanly!!! Btw glad you could use the jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheri5:02 PM

    Awesome!!! You get a gold medal AND a beautiful sweater!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It. Is. Awesome! I couldn't wait to see it finished, amazing what you've done in 17 days.

    And you look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Redemption! Knitting Olympic Gold! Whooo hooooo!!!!!!!

    Mother/Daughter sweater set? Heck yah! Do it! Do it! Do it!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally awesome performance! The sweater is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Make the baby a sweater. It will be adorable! Really the sweater is awesome, I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exquisite! Really gorgeous sweater. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeanne it is so gorgeous - as is the model! ;) and I vote hell yes on the baby girl version. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. turned out absolutely gorgeous and the pics are amazing! and HELL YEAH you need to knit the daughter one!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO PRETTY!
    congrats - i completed a sweater for ravelympics too but nothing as crazy as that - not with finals and a lot of school work on top of me. i'm surprised i got anything done in two weeks honestly!

    the colors, fit, everything about this is perfect. including the fact you are probably warm because cleveland is soooo cold!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG Your sweater is amazing! I came out absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, it looks great, congratulations! I say go for the baby sweater. Just make it big enough that she doesn't outgrow it too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that sweater is an amazing accomplishment! The yoke colorwork is awesome.

    Definitely make a little version of it. It would be too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Make the baby one, too!
    Make the baby one, too!
    Make the baby one, too!

    that's my vote, at least. . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Susie B9:35 AM

    Go for it! The baby needs it! At least that's what I'm voting for.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now that is what I call redemption baby!!

    It is beautiful and looks GREAT on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks great. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  20. <3 so cute and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That turned out great - congratulations!! I would totally knit the baby her own version, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...