January 27, 2010

Um... I might want to think about this.

So with all of the exciting things going on with Destination Yarn this week (Olympic Yarn! Trunk Shows! Blue Monday Sale!) I have completely forgotten about the fact that in less than 48 hours I’m flying across the country.

With a baby.

Random Jan Pics

GAH!!!!

I’m taking my annual trip with my mom* to Florida to visit my grandparents (here’s 2006, 2007, & 2008. In 2009 I didn’t go b/c I was WAY pregnant and busy tearing apart my kitchen). So it’s only a 2.5 hour flight… but still… I have no clue as to how any of this is going to work.

I am the opposite of this right now:
Random Jan Pics
The image of relaxation. Yes, he’s on top of a boppy on top of a pillow on the couch.

I don’t want to be the asshole who takes for-ev-er going through security … and I don’t want to be the one with a screaming baby on a plane…

And I have no clue as to how to avoid either of those scenarios.

Any thoughts?  Seriously I’m opening myself up to the assvice. Lay it on me. I’ve never done this before.
Random Jan Pics
Don’t worry, mommy. I happy baby.

Random Jan Pics
Until we take off.

GAH.

* Matt’s not going. Which at first I was all bummed because he’s going to miss her first flight. Her first big travel adventure. SADNESS. But then I realized that I’m flying with an infant and he’s going to be at a beer festival with his guy friends. Completely free of the responsibilities of a baby and a wife for a weekend. And I was all…wait… that sounds pretty nice… and then I remembered that I’m going somewhere that it’s 70 degrees and green while he’s stuck in the 20 degree gray that is Cleveland January. And it all evened out again. Funny how that works.

5 comments:

  1. surprisingly, I think you will find it pretty painless. You'll have your momma right? if you're still nursing, I nursed on the way up and down to relieve the pressure. Or something for her to suck on. You can take fluids on for a babe. Mine liked to make faces at the people behind us. Free entertainment! and really pretty much napped the whole time. Snacks and toys she likes and perhaps a book to read that she likes. When I flew with hubsters the first time we took the stroller/carseat and he was able to get that set up when we got off the plane, they will check it plane-side. when i flew alone, I chose not to take the stroller/carseat on the plane, and just used the bjorn to carry her through the airport. Easy-peasy. I didn't even have to take her off through security. Go figure. You'll be fine. OH hopefully this won't happen since it's a short flight but changing a diaper on the plane is no fun! those tiny bathrooms don't have a changing station, so hopefully she'll poop on the ground. HAVE FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never minded screaming babies on planes. It was screaming parents that always bothered me. Just remain calm and don't yell at your child (not that I think YOU would yell at your child... that's just a general rule). As far as security goes, just get there early. Be smart about what you pack. I'm not sure about the rules for formula (if you're doing the formula thing) but be smart about liquids. Remember that most liquids can only be 3 oz or less, no aerosol cans, and they have to be in a plastic bag. If you're thinking "HUH?!", it doesn't make sense to me either. Take some toys for the kid, but not their entire toybox. Don't be upset if they throw things (and on that note, bring soft toys). Be nice to the people sitting next to/near you and I'm sure it'll go off without a hitch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We flew to Orlando when M was 10 months old and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Here's what worked for us...

    Carry-on ONLY what you need. Check everything else. Don't forget to stash an extra shirt for you and maybe some yoga pants or something in case you get barfed on. Oh, and 1-2 empty ziplock bags to store any gross/smelly clothes.

    Get a few brand new toys to pull out during the flight - the newness helps capture their attention...at least for a second or 2. We had 3-4 little Target dollar bin things stashed in the diaper bag.

    Drugs - 1/2 hour before you board the flight. We did a dose of Motrin, just in case.

    Bottles, boob, pacifiers, whatever. Get her sucking as you start to taxi to help her ears. Same with landing.

    You want the bulkhead seat on most flights. I found I could at least let her stand up and move a step or 2 in front of my seat because we had the extra legroom. M also spent blissfully long several-minute periods staring out the window.

    Let her get as much movement time before boarding the plane as possible. Swallow any fear of germs and let her crawl, climb, whatever at the gate. She's going to be stuck in your lap for 3 hours...give her a chance to move it all out first. If you are worried, just take some anti-bac wipes or gel and rub down her hands/arms when you board the plane.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no advice, since I'm not a mommy. And while I have been annoyed by a screaming baby on a plane, I remember they are babies and moms are human. I just ignore it and go back to reading my book. Things happen that people think are "bad parenting" or whatever dumb notion they have, but it's just life. Babies cry and babies have to fly. You should never have to feel bad about that. Hopefully everything goes off without a hitch!!!

    Either way, think of the fun you will soon be having somewhere warm!!! Jealous... we are expecting more snow tonight! Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you got a lot of good advice...it will be fine! have fun with it...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...