July 7, 2008

Oresund Test Socks

So when trying to figure out Copenhagen I knew pretty much what I wanted it to look like… but didn’t know how to get there. So I dyed a test skein. And since I had no confidence in my dying abilities and thought it would take a few tries to get right I only dyed half of the skein to start with. Luckily on the first try I got what I wanted:
Test Dye of copenhagen
So I had half a skein left to play with. I decided to make it an experiment in repeatable colorways and try to dye the second half exactly the same:
Test Dye of copenhagen
So close! Definitely within the tolerance of a dye lot. So that made me happy.

I also decided to make this an experiment in dye sequence. What I did was for the first half I started with a small skein and dyed that. For the second half I wound the skein into a larger circle and dyed it exactly the same. Everything else was a constant – the only variable being the size of the skein dyed. (my high school physics teacher would be proud of my use of the sciency-lingo there). So then of course I needed to knit some test socks.

Sock 1 – small skein:
Copenhagen Test Socks
Meh. The colors are pretty but the pooling not so much. The heel flap made me swoon, though:
Copenhagen Test Socks
So then I decreased an extra 4 stitches in the foot just to see what would happen:
Copenhagen Test Socks
Me likey.
Copenhagen Test Socks

Sock 2 – large skein:
Copenhagen Test Socks
Ooooooh shiny!!! It made stripes! Not like perfect Parisian stripes but fun swirly stripes!
Copenhagen Test Socks
It has a pretty heel, too.

I don’t know what will happen on the foot b/c I’m still knitting it but so far, so good. The pattern is the Dublin Bay Socks (Rav link here) – I figured that the lace panels on the sides would keep me from screaming with boredom but wouldn’t break up the color repeats too much….
Copenhagen Test Socks
I like my fraternal socks. I’m calling them the Oresund Socks after the strait that seperates Copenhagen from Malmo.

And because I liked the second one more I dyed all of the Copenhagen yarn for the shop the same way I dyed the second one. Obviously individual results will vary with gauge and pattern and all that but still…did I mention that there is another 3 skeins of Copenhagen available now at Destination Yarn?

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:57 PM

    Snazzy colorway. I love that heel too. Wow! p.s. shucks no, not going to the indians game. got another gig that requires myself. hope ya'll have a blast.. and heavens don't forget your goodie bag. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That heel is a major winner!! Love to see that color way knit up like that:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Experimenting is fun!!
    I love the combo colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty colorway!!! I love the way the second test skein knit up too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. shiny. also, why do i think pictures of socks are about the funniest thing i have ever seen?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, nice to see how it looks knit up! I love both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. jeanne--testing this comment for email thing. tell me if you can email me b/c of this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:24 PM

    Those are both awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:37 AM

    Love the colorway - and I really like the small stripe version!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:11 AM

    Both socks look great, but damn!!! That heel is awesome!
    I won't be at Stitch n' Pitch this year, as I'm in Toronto until Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...