January 9, 2007

Following your advice

Dude, what was up with the blogger outage at lunch? Boo to not being able to catch up with my blog reading/blogging! Especially after I spent time making pretty diagrams...

Anyways last night I started this:
That would be the Falling Water Lace Scarf out of the Crystal Palace Kid Merino… I’m going to make it rainbowed but I think I want to start over and go up a needle size or two. That is knit on 6’s – which is what the pattern calls for – in fingering weight – and I’m using lace weight doubled. I’m thinking perhaps 8’s would make the lace pattern show a little better? Or is that too much…

Also… do you guys think that I should knit every pattern repeat in a different color so the rainbow happens pretty quickly like in the socks, or should I knit 3 repeats with each color so it’s more of big color blocks….Hmmm…. Ok here’s my 5 min Acad sketch (I’m a geek but I’m fine with it. Acad rocks.):

Option A – one pattern repeat color changes:

Option B – 3 pattern repeat color changes:


So… what do you think?

By the way I found the scarf pattern because I heard there was a hilarious pic of Brad Pitt – who for some reason thinks he’s an architect (which as an architect-in-training pisses me off… sorry, buddy, but you need to go through about 6 years of school, the hell that is thesis, and the long and arduous accreditation process before you can call yourself that – I don’t care how much money you have or how many babies you adopt) – standing in front of Falling Water the building looking all smug. Shudder. So anyways I googled for that picture and found the scarf….

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:23 PM

    The rainbow scarf will be beautiful! I vote for option A. You are doing 2 strands the same, 2 different colors, 2 the same of second color, 2 different, etc, to make gradual color changes instead of blocks, right? Also, I think 8's might be a little too big. Remember your pattern will be more obvious after you block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:37 AM

    I vote for option A, and I would try a size 7 before making the jump to 8's. It's going to be beautiful! Thanks for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow - that yarn is lovely! i can't wait to see it all knit up! oh yeah, and sorry...no advice...that's what i come to you for ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:14 AM

    I agree with everything Mom said!!! Always listen to Mom - Mom knows best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:09 AM

    Aww, this scarf is going to look so yummy - beautiful pattern! I'd say, going up one or two needle sizes can't be wrong - 2 more might be a bit too much, but one would make the pattern really "jump out", I guess. As for the colour choice - I'd go for B!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:36 AM

    I vote for B as it's a bigger item - then the pattern would be in scale with the larger size. The swatch looks great - I haven't used that yarn before!

    OK, can I just say that it seems like Brad Pitt doesn't know what he wants? He seems to be jumping on whatever bandwagon comes by. Now he thinks he's an architect. He should just focus on doing what he does best - looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote for option A - I like the visual interest of the banding a lot. You know, it's funny how one can find cool knitting stuff on the net inadvertantly. I have a few bookmarks of things I never would have thought to look for just from browsing around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once you block, the lace pattern will open up. Using 8's will be too big, I think. Try size 7's.

    No advice on the color scheme, though. You choose!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great. Can't wait to see what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote for option A I like the more repeats. I think it will be more interesting that way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:01 PM

    I like the larger blocks of color, so that's my vote. It will be very pretty when done either way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmm.... i really like both, but my first inclination was to go with option A!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:34 AM

    Beautiful yarn! I like option A - it seems to have more visual interest with more changes. Keep up the fabulous knitting/lacing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...