December 3, 2009

Behold the power of Blog

So I’ve been blogging for awhile now. 4 years in internet time is like a millennium in real time. But I’m still constantly amazed and floored at the power that these little DIY websites can have.

Last month a blogger that I “know” - Anissa of Aiming Low - suffered from a stoke.

She’s in her 30’s and a mother.

I can’t even imagine what her family has been going through these past few weeks as she has fought for her life in intensive care. And I keep thinking about her and them and wanting to help. Even though this is a woman who I’ve never met and who I wouldn’t ever even know existed if it weren’t for a pop culture blog. Tonight I’m going to a benefit for her family. If you want to join me here are the details:

And because this is a blog and therefore I have to talk about myself… another story:

Recently Destination Yarn was linked on by both Cookie A* and Anne Hanson** and the result was staggering. Cookie was knitting a pair of socks out of my Copenhagen colorway, and Anne said that she loved Harvest Moon and since then I’ve barely been able to keep either in stock. I mean I know they’re pretty:


But WOW. I had no idea. Well I kindof did… but I can’t tell you how amazing it felt to have so many knitters interested in my little business. It finally feels like I’ve made it as a legitimate indie dyer and that I’m not just some crazy lady with blue hands and a weird hobby.

All because of blogs.

I really do need to write more…

*Yes. That Cookie A. of Monkeys and Sunshine and all that is right with sock knitting. Also I clearly did not make too big of an ass out of myself at her sock design class. I tried not to be too fangirl but you know. It happens. Especially when Cookie A! Likes! My! Yarn! Squeeeeeeeeeeeee!

**Yes. The Anne Hanson of Knitspot and lace knitting and a garden that blows the doors off of my pathetic attempts at tomatoes.

5 comments:

  1. i will see you there.

    can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awful about Anissa's stroke. Ugh.

    Yay on the notice you've gotten for your yarns from some very famous bloggers/designers! I know, the "blogosphere" is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart goes out to Anissa and her family.

    Congrats - THE Cookie A., that is AWESOME! Ooo, I wonder what pattern she's using. I have that colorway, too. *runs off the Rav*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless you for helping a fellow blogger!!

    I have to admit, those are the 2 colors I ordered- I'm a follower!! I've eyed the Copenhagen for a long time but seeing it actually knit up was what got me - and Anne always has such gorgeous photography on her blog, that doesn't hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw this post. I'm really sorry to hear about Anissa. Hope she's doing better now.

    As for your yarn, I'm glad I got my Harvest Moon at Cookie A's class, since you can't keep up with the demand! It's actually one of the yarns I pulled out of the stash for a 2010(?) sock of the month kit. No idea when I'll get to it, but it's ready to go. I suppose I should have paired it with a Cookie A pattern, but I didn't. Maybe I'll have to re-think that....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...