June 3, 2015

Road Trip Prep: PACK ALL THE YARN.

So!   Very soon we leave on an epic road trip.  The kind that Google Maps laughs at you when you type in and just gives you the time it would take to fly there.  Because noone in their right mind wants to drive 1300 miles one way with 3 kids in the car, right?
Shut up, google.

Yes.  We are taking the kids to South Dakota.  By way of Chicago (because our daughter begged us to stop there).  It's going to be epic.  I've never been to this part of the country before so I'm really excited. We've been planning/organizing/practice hiking/packing for what feels like months.  SO MUCH PACKING.  The big question is... how much yarn does one bring for 40 some hours in the car?

Big box o pretty headed out to Knitting on the Square tonight! #destinationyarn #indiedyer #etsyseller #yarnie #handdyedyarn #knit #knitting #operationsockdrawer #knittersofinstagram #knitstagram
ALL THE YARN.  You bring ALL OF IT.
I suppose that isn't realistic (although I have been known to sneak yarn in the car under the seats in case of emergency).  So I'm focusing on projects.  Obviously I have to bring my #ALLINCLE socks:

Heel turned, game won. Happiness ensues. #allincle #cavs #knitting #indiedyer #destinationyarn #yarn #handdyedyarn #yarnie #operationsockdrawer #knittersofinstagram #instaknit
Don't even talk about the fact that I will be in South Dakota when Cleveland brings home it's first championship in my lifetime.  I CAN'T EVEN.
But a pair of socks is not going to be enough.  So I dyed up a shiny new colorway that I"m hoping will match a good part of our trip.  Introducing, PRAIRIE:

Prairie Yarn
greeeeeeeen!!!!

Prairie Yarn
It's a kettle dyed / stipple dyed colorway.  So it is mainly a total green with a few tiny flicks of dark green throughout.  It is swatching up beautifully:

Prairie Yarn

An epic trip deserves an epic project.  So I'm going to knit this:

Photo from the Ravelry pattern page linked below.
It's the Feather and Fan-tastic pattern that I found while stalking everything knit in fingering weight on Ravelry.  I think it's beautiful.  The lace is enough to keep it interesting without taking away from the yarn.  Plus the wavy-ness of the pattern will mimic the wavy prairie grass.  I like that.
Photo from the Ravelry pattern page linked above.
Also the pattern is based on something that Lady Edith wore on Downton Abbey and she's the bestest so.... yeah.  Had to knit it.
Prairie Yarn

Yay for epic adventures and epic projects!

PS all of this yarn is available at Destination Yarn.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...