July 13, 2012

The Dude's Base Smoothie Recipe.

So you guys.  Smoothies.  Holy crap.  I'm not sure why it took me 32 years to discover these treats of amazing but DUDE.  A few weeks ago we got plain yogurt in our CSA bag and since then we've been straight-up addicts.

photo
Story time = SNOOTHIE TIME! (the girl calls them Snoothies)
 My daughter summed it up best when we gave her a smoothie instead of her usual bedtime snack:

"This is WAY better than blueberries."

Amen, sister.  But that's nothing compared with her brother's reaction.  He basically loses his mind the second he hears the blender going.

photo
You have no idea how good this is.
We've tried quite a few varieties and I think I've perfected my base recipe.  So I thought I'd share and spread the addiction.

 

 

THE DUDE'S BASE SMOOTHIE RECIPE


Ingredients:
2 cups of plain yogurt - the CSA yogurt was amazing but Dannon is ok, too.
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Scant tablespoon (more like a half tablespoon) of sugar
Ice to fill blender
Fruit and/or other nonsense

So.  First you put in the base ingredients:

photo

Then put in the fruit and other nonsense:

photo

 Then fill the blender to the top with ice:

photo

 Then blend into oblivion:

photo
Done!  This recipe makes enough for two adults and two children.  I serve it to them in the double walled tumblers - or as my daughter calls them "Mommy coffee cups" - so that they don't spill snoothie all over the couch.

Some ones we've tried:

Peach:  Add 3 peaches to the base recipe
Peanut Butter and Banana:  Add 2 tablespoons of Peanut Butter and one Banana to the base recipe
Peach Banana:  Add 2 peaches and one banana to the base recipe
photo
This is our favorite so far.
Honestly you can add whatever you want.  I'm dying to try a berry only one.  And a PB and J one. And maybe I might go completely nuts one night and throw in some Nutella.  Haven't gone there yet, though since I'm trying to keep them relatively healthy.

Oh a note on the sugar.  I've heard that you can use honey instead of the sugar if you're worried about your kid's sugar consumption.  My guy is too young still for honey, though.  Plus if you do the math they are basically getting less than 1/2 teaspoon of sugar per smoothie.  I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch about that small of an amount.  Especially when my attitude on sugar consumption in children is the same as alcohol consumption in college:  Learn how to do it in moderation in a somewhat consequence free situation so that later in life you don't get wasted at an office event and/or choose only cookies for your school lunch.

Enjoy!!!

In other news tonight's plans involve friends, wine, and what the dude is holding:

This

Obviously this is the best idea ever and nothing can possibly go wrong.  Yup.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...