July 10, 2007

Summer of socks (several weeks late but whatev)

So the Summer of Socks has officially started and in honor of that I’ve decided that I want to design my very own sock. I have all sorts of Big Ideas about what I want it to look like and knit like… basically I want a guy sock that’s interesting but semi-mindless to knit, would be wearable by any guy out there, and has nice, clean, well thought-out detailing.

Easier said than done, right?

So I started with this cable pattern which is off of a bag I knit last year but never sewed a lining in and therefore have never used (I should probably do that, huh):
cable knit bag

And I want it to go gracefully down the leg of the sock and then split into a smaller cable at the foot… so I sketched it all out:
And I started knitting….

And somehow during the sketching process I effed up the cables. I flipped them. So basically I knit a wave instead of a braid:

Crap. But this is a learning process so I ripped it out and started again with only minor cussing… Well then I got about halfway down the leg and decided that I don’t like the cables at all. I want them to be neater and tighter and cross closer together and this isn’t what I was picturing and it has to be better than this b/c I’m designing it myself and…. I ripped it all out again.

Ugh. And I haven’t even gotten to the heel turn where my cable is going to magically split into a smaller one. I’ve figured it out on paper (in autocad. Who am I kidding.) but apparently that doesn’t always work.

Right at this moment I’m very discouraged… Boo.

In other news - I had a wonderful, fantastic long weekend with my friends... I'm still sorting out all of the pics.... Also - Hi to all of my grandma's friends who are now reading this!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:54 AM

    minor cussing? oh, let it rip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be discouraged!! I think it's quite a challenge to design a cabled sock. I know you will get it all worked out in the end though. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:14 PM

    I know you'll be able to do it! And then you'll write up that fantastic pattern for the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you can do it! Good luck with your design! You got to just suck it up and put the lining in that cute purse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can do it! Just let the F-bomb fly a couple of times to blow off steam. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...